Tuesday 22 March 2011

Bartley Gorman, King of the Gypsies

Before Uttoxeter's finest son Shane Meadows made movies like "This is England" and "Dead Man's Shoes," he made a bunch of great shorts. This one is a real beaut. It's about one of Meadows' childhood heroes - bareknuckle fighter Bartley Gorman V, the King of the Gypsies. You'd travel a long time to find anyone as hard as Bartley. I dread to think what his 'bullhammer' punch would do to Audley.

For years, Meadows has been speaking about making a feature about the life of Gorman. It's his passion project. I hope he makes it one day.

1 comment:

  1. I've just recently discovered Meadows (I'd seen This is England...and liked it, but I didn't think about the director). Then somebody on my blog suggested Dead Man's Shoes and I was floored.

    Watched Somers Town a few weeks ago...such a great film.

    I'm a fan.

    ReplyDelete