Friday 22 July 2011

Latif Yahia, AKA the Devil's Double, still can't sleep.

Latif Yahia, the Iraqi man who, against his will, served at Uday Hussein's body double, has written a piece for Newsweek about his experiences. You can read it here. Here's the juiciest bit:
"I escaped Iraq in the early 1990s. But I spent five years afterward in counseling and psychological treatment, dealing with the things I saw: torture and kidnapping of girls, rape, and all these things. Once I tried to commit suicide by taking tablets; another time I tried to hang myself. I was so depressed. I was taking a lot of Valium to calm down. Even now I don’t get to sleep until 5 or 6 in the morning. I always have nightmares. When you live in the West, you don’t see things like torture."
My pop's screenplay for The Devil's Double is based on Yahia's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment