Wednesday 19 May 2010

Coffin Wood Pizza

One of the best meals I have ever eaten was pizza at Da Michele in Naples, AKA 'the sacred temple of pizza'. After an almost 2-hour wait for a table at the tiny joint, Hannah and I devoured their two wonderfully simple offerings - a margherita and a marinara. Both were outrageously delicious and the meal was made all the more memorable by the wonderfully dated decor (tiled walls etc) which looked like it hadn't been touched since they opened in 1930.
It was so good I haven't been able to eat a pizza since - nothing will ever match up so what's the point. I could bore you silly about the perfect dough, the freshness of the tomatoes but what really stood out was the wood-fired aroma - hints of Vesuvian plain sapling.
Or so I thought until I read with utter disgust that what we ate was in fact (probably) dead people. Italy is on fire with reports that crooked cooks in Naples (there's lots) are firing pizza ovens with coffin wood 'salvaged' (ie dug up) from graveyards.
Anyone want to go to Pizza Express with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment