Friday 12 February 2010

Swansea Love Story

Swansea. I've never been there but I've always had something of a soft spot for the tough-as-old-boots South Wales city.
Firstly, Rhodri, my old housemate in Brizzle, was a bonafide boyo from the valleys. Secondly, the Swansea City jacks and I share a common enemy: Cardiff City FC. I'll never fully get over the scumbag bluebirds beating QPR in that play-off final.
So, I was immediately intrigued to check out Vice's "Swansea Love Story," about the lives and loves of heroin addicts eeking out a pitiful existence in Swansea. The film, which is is co-directed and produced by Leo (son of Mike) Leigh and Vice UK's head honcho Andy Capper, has already garnered great notices - The Guardian has called it "the must-see British film of the year".
The first episode has just been posted on VBS.TV with 5 more to follow. It aint an easy watch but it is strangely moving. Be warned that its a hellishly tough watch if you aren't a massive fan of smackheads fumbling around with dirty needles behind wheelie-bins.

No comments:

Post a Comment